.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Secret Underwater Base

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Don't Call it A Comeback...

Its time to get back to normal. Its been such a strange trip, its hard to remember what normal is. Was just moving into the new crib (the converted meth lab) when the organ 'sploded... then a full month on the shelf. Its been 3 weeks now and I decided that due to certain circumstances, it was time to find normal again.

I laced them up tonight. An obvious sign that its been too long? My running shorts - the ones that sit on my floor at all times... the ones that I am wary of washing in fear of not having them handy when the urge to run away becomes too strong - yeah, those ones - they were nowhere to be found. The shoes were right where I left them, and despite the miles and miles of damage that they have incurred, the lack of cushioning that was slowly stressing my feet towards fracture, the encrusted mud and dirt from the hidden puddles that ambushed me many weeks ago... nothing could have felt better.

Somewhere along the way, autumn arrived. Shorts were still in order, especially after searching for a good half hour to find them, but a longsleeve was a definite requirement. My dad came along too... another requirement. My stomach felt like I was at the starting line of the marathon that I missed - nervous - those studies on VO2 and bedrest are not pretty. But I ran. and I kept running. Scar felt odd - but nothing bad. After a mile, I stopped. Probably around 8 minutes. I could've kept going, but I was feeling so good, about not feeling bad, that I didn't want to risk feeling bad, about not feeling good. Walked for a few miles, and talked about the day - what it brought and what it didn't.

It was only 8 minutes, but tomorrow will bring more. Its supposed to rain, but that never stopped me before. Grit your teeth and get it done. Hey normal, how are ya... its been awhile, i'm glad to be back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home