.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Secret Underwater Base

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Another Night, Another Raccoon

Tuesday night. 10 miles. Wasn't so hot - Lately I have been digging deep to find the burn, looking for every ounce of lactic feedback to remind me that I'm improving. Tonight, I didn't have to dig deep at all. In fact, vietnamese vegetarian pad thai induced heart burn left me looking for a shallow grave. Those red chillis that tasted so good at dinner hours earlier proved evil upon second inspection. I knew it would happen, its happened before... I suppose I shouldn't ask for burn anymore. Bring me solitude and sweet disassociation, let my mind wander far from my lungs, my penchant for burn has been cured. For now.

My 10th mile concluded with a showdown. This showdown was not unlike one that you may have seen in a handful of old western movies. First I felt the stare, seeing a looming shadow swagger into the middle of the road, blocking my path. The beady eyes glowed an ominous yellow, reflecting sudden and previously unnoticed moonlight. I took one step forward, out of the shadows, to make my adversary aware that I would not back down. He tottered backwards, stumbling slightly, his dark mask hiding his expression. I calculated my chances in such a battle, weighing the pros and cons of an attempted confrontation. I realized that I was outmatched, as this stealthy ninja of a creature would surely slice and dice me to shreds. I turned my back, surrendering to fate. Would he attack or show sympathy and revel in my surrender. He did neither. As I slowly paced away, with one eye glued over my shoulder, he crept along the curb, mirroring my movements as only the most trained assassins can. I quickened my pace, further demonstrating my desire to avoid any disturbances.

My rival must have sensed my resignation, causing his innate adrenaline charged challenge sensors to lose interest in stalking. Just as quickly as he had emerged in my path, he was gone, vanishing into the shadows. Minutes later, I heard him topple a garbage can.. surely accomplished with an effortless and unexpected attack... this was definitely a warning sign... that garbage can could have been me.

Let this be a warning to you. Despite what you may have been told... just look at their masks, their gleaming eyes, their ability to appear out of the night's blackness unnoticed.

Yes, raccoons are the ninjas of nature.

1 Comments:

  • Ever run into a skunk? I ran into a few and it wasn't until I did run into a few skunks that I discovered that a skunk is actually facing you when he attempts to spray you.

    By Blogger donperreault, at 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home