.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Secret Underwater Base

Monday, March 26, 2007

Asleep From Bay

The title says it all. Pretty wiped from a weekend on the road - but the race went really well. Drove up to Hamilton on Saturday afternoon, after stopping at G&G for some supplies. Took a new approach to the run this year, and I have no idea why this didn't occur to me earlier.

I ran strictly based on pace. Flipped the Garmin to pace for the flat sections, and focused on running slower - not faster. Kept it around 7:45, even when I could have pushed it. When I got to the hills (which this year didn't feel nearly as steep as last year), I flipped it to HR. I only saw my elapsed time at the relay checkpoints, and even then, I had no idea what my chip time was.

The result? I ran what might be my first negative split. My legs were very fresh at the end - maybe not fresh enough to do another 12km for a full marathon, but I was definitely not taxing the system. Threw some coal in the fire for the last mile and a half - did the last mile in 6:50 - just to prove to myself that it was there.

Result? I ran 2:26 .... slightly slower than last year, but very good practice for the ultimate goal, which is the second assault on Ottawa.

Took tonight off, but tomorrow we start anew. Kingston half in a month

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home