.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Secret Underwater Base

Sunday, March 18, 2007

17 slow miles

Very productive weekend, but alas it has ended. Weekends tend to do that... Doesn't help that I have been yawning and tired since about 7pm tonight. Ran 17 miles this afternoon, and after that, I am a vegetable for the rest of the day. I took it really slow though, since next week is Around the Bay. Based on schedule, it should be a rest week next week and a Sunday 12 miler, but the 30k will be good race experience as we prepare for a second assault on Ottawa.

The only thing that made today difficult was the wind. The temperature was hovering around freezing, but the sun's warmth was fleeting when the wind picked up. Running west, my jacket billowed like a sail, slowing my split times horrendously. At the Lemoine's Point turnaround, the wind suddenly disappeared. So instead of having my jacket-sail to fly me home, I had to actually propel myself with my legs. My nutrition was pretty much as it should have been, so I didn't hit the wall like I did last weekend.

I will have to take this week somewhat easier towards the end, to stay fresh for Hamilton. I don't think I can hope to beat last year's 2hrs 17 - as I have no 20 milers under my belt so far this year. But it will be a good test - and once the weather clears up, I will be able to pump up the quality speed work on the after-work weekday sessions. Might even start to run *gasp*, before work. Nah

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • How did Around the Bay go?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home