.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Secret Underwater Base

Thursday, January 18, 2007

You must be crazy...

Tonight started as a struggle - frustrations about the meth lab, as I paint like a possessed man, and other things don't get accomplished. There is a lot of work that needs to be done, beyond the painting, and it just isn't getting completed - or even thought about. Right now, the walls are beautiful tones of off-white (I couldn't bring myself to put dark colours on the walls that were previously so filthy).. and yet the space is far from an apartment. I left a note for the person-de-resistance tonight, and I hope something can be worked out tomorrow.

Even my run started as a struggle. My legs were tired from last night's escapade in the snow. The winter and its lack of friction is back - meaning my anti-slip and anti-slide muscles are tired. I did a quick loop around the block, thinking that I would just turn home if things didn't improve. Instead, I dialed the iPod to an old marathon playlist - random - and let it take me where it may.

I pushed through the initial mile-de-resistance, loping through the dark and empty streets. Somehow ended up downtown, but the streetlights and creatures of the night pushed me back to the more quiet residential streets. Did a loop around the rink at market square - hoping that the midnight hockey game that was so entertaining last night would be back. No luck. Instead there were men on cranes, either fixing street lights, or stealing lightbulbs. They waved, so whatever their purpose, I am on their side.

As I came upon the building that will be my new place-de-resistance (read: job), my eyes wandered, as my mind scoured the imaginary hallways on the 2nd floor, wondering which office might be mine. 4 weeks ago they thought I was too crazy. Over the iPod's symphony, I heard a voice. Someone calling me crazy. Must be just the Ghost of Pirsig in my mind. I'm really not crazy at all. Thats the funniest part.

I turned and saw a real person next to me. A student, walking home, not drunk. Maybe out late studying, nah - its January. No one studies until at least mid February. As I pulled off my headphones, he repeated his phrase:

You must be crazy....

I looked at him, wondering if I had been speaking my thoughts without knowing it. I admit it, sometimes I will sing along to the words without knowing, but thats usually many miles in. But I don't think I ever verbalize the thoughts that crystallize on the road.

He must've noticed my confusion.

You must be crazy to run at this hour ... he repeated.

I looked at my watch. It was 1:15 am. And it was snowing. I guess the man had a point - and in saying it, he had paid me a great compliment.... the piece-de-resistance. Crazy like Karnazes is a good thing. I laughed and shouted over my shoulder...

Gotta fit it in sometime. And I'm the least crazy person I know...


PS - huge congrats to Chazzy - king of the valley.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home