.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Secret Underwater Base

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Update from summer

So it has been awhile since I posted here. Been working a lot, and I've really found that Twitter is an easier vehicle for blogging when I don't feel like sitting down and hammering out a post.

So what has happened since last post... way back in June.

Barry Bonds hit 755, 756, 757, 758, 759, 760, and now 761. I was surprised and disappointed by my lack of reaction to it. I could've blogged about it, gone on a long-winded rant full of twisted analogies and pastoral allusions - but I didn't really feel like it. I didn't feel like anything. I didn't care. I wanted to care, hoped I would be enraged and disgusted, hoped that fans would boo at the top of their lungs - but instead - Barry Bonds passed number formerly known as the greatest record in all of sports passed eachother like two ships in the night. If a home run record falls, and all credibility is long-gone, does it make a sound? the answer was no.

The Tour de France was full of dopers. Still engaging and super-human levels of effort, endurance and motivation bordering on psychosis... but, again, in the context of Bonds, McGwire, Vick, and Donneghy - the flavour is gone. Someone asked me how I would feel if they were all doping and I didn't know it. Would I rather have a sport that was clean and less "exciting", or one that was exciting, but secretly dirty. My first (and most people's) first reaction is the former. We want our athletes to be clean and pedestrian. We want to sense that maybe, in some odd twist, we could be competing as well. We want to feel sameness. But looking back, I have already watched the tour when everyone was doping, and I didn't know it. And it was exciting as hell. But now that Adam has eaten the Apple, and Vino has injected, that era of dirty innocence is lost. I'm not saying that I don't want to know, but part of me just doesn't want to know.

Training has been less than optimal. Heat and humidity, combined with allergies led to a brief bout of overtraining I think. I stopped halfway through one particularly torturous workout, took my 4 years worth of PHE to heart, and walked home. I locked my shoes in a closet for 5 days, to let my body figure itself out. And it did. Still dealing with some lingering hamstring tightness, but I have been getting my quality workouts done this week. The junk mileage isn't as high as it should be, but the long runs are there. Big test will be this weekend- 10 today and 19-20 tomorrow. Yikes.

On the music front, I have been rocking:

Better Than Ezra - How Does Your Garden Grow?
Matthew Good - Hospital Music
David Usher - Strange Birds

and some gnarly mash-ups, including Girl Talk and a slick new mix of Kanye and Biggie - Stronger vs Goin Back To Cali.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home