.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Secret Underwater Base

Monday, August 27, 2007

Not quite wings, but good enough for me

Quick post - only because in light of the recent struggles on the road, i want to document this. this is partially a sweatblog after all.

Saturday night was hot. not oven hot, more like sauna hot. dripping hot. hazy hot. can't quite get a full breath of air hot. And i knocked down 10 miles. First four were on pace, not quite race pace, but i think i mentioned, it was beyond-race-pace hot. Found my dad out on his 12 miler as we circled the moonlit point at RMC, so I logged 4 slower miles with him to pace him home, and then shot out to try to hit two on race pace to finish the night. came close, 7:49 and 8:05.... good enough for me.

Sunday night was a better temp. Went out earlier than usual, because I had ideas of running to the trails. From the height of the setting sun, I realized I had no chance of knocking down the 5 miles to get TO the trails, with enough remaining light to get me through one loop of the forest, let alone to guide me on the 5 miles of busy road to get home. So I went as far west as I could, before doubling back east, along the water front the whole way... looped the point, up a gnarly rock cut, and then slogged home. I have this weird habit now, of not finishing my run at home. The last miles home always seem to be the worst, so I subconsciously try to trick my brain into feeling like the run is finishing sooner than it should, by adding enough miles to finish up somewhere else. End result, a 20 miler, completed in about 2:54.

Legs today feel really good.

I hadn't really told anyone, that this weekend was really a test to see if I would be ready to run the marathon in Oct. We'll see how I feel tonight on a 3 mile recovery - but for now, I passed the test. Still on target for Oct 14; my return to PEC.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Why do PEC when you can do Detriot? It's only a fun road trip away...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home