.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Secret Underwater Base

Saturday, January 28, 2006

What have you done with winter?

So its January. And its 8 C. Well, not right now its not. But it was. My dashboard still has the numbers to prove it. Felt good to lose a few pounds of clothing layers for the run today. In the end, I probably even chickened out a bit - wore a toque and mits, but after a mile or so, they were nothing more than thermal ballast. I was tempted to hide them behind a tree, or in a backyard along the route, but I sensed Jack Frost hiding somewhere behind the weekend, and thought better of the potential loss. Thermal ballast this week may well become the only thing between my fingers and ears and inevitable amputation, should the weather gods realize that they March isn't spelled J-A-N-U-A-R-Y.

But it was nice for a change: avoided the treadmills and ice that have been standard fare for the last couple months. The sensation of dry, solid pavement was foreign for the first several hundred meters. The soles of my feet had lost their touch with the laws of summer physics - the texturized conversations with Sir Isaac himself, discussing the equal and yet opposite points of view that shoes and pavement are meant to have when free of slippery distraction. Forces of opposition often get a bad reputation, but with pavement, I live for nothing less. Today's run was like a heavyweight fight - each jarring blow delivered to my concrete opponent matched, breath for breath, step for step, with the end result of sacred, beautiful propulsion.

It was only seven miles today though. If I had a crystal ball, and i knew what the weather would have in store for me tomorrow, I may have chosen to double today's distance, take advantage of the warm weather and get the heavy lifting out of the way. That would have definitely made things easier for tomorrow - especially if the skies come to their senses and go back to pelting me with snow, sleet and rain, and literally pulling the ground out from under me. But, this isn't about making things easier. What it is about, is taking things as they come - putting one foot in front of the other and getting things done. After all, tomorrow is the last Sunday in January, the first Sunday since autumn without an afternoon of football awaiting me. Without that to fill the day, what else is there to do on a Sunday afternoon?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home