.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Secret Underwater Base

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Checkpoint 2

Today was the Kingston Half Marathon. Run under perfect conditions, clear skies, peak temperature of around 18C (64F for the imperialists) and not too much wind.

My goal was to run sub 1:35, to prove to myself that fitness is increasing, without totally devastating my legs and ruining an entire week of training. Goal accomplished, a new PR of 1:34:00. Felt good through most of the race, although at the top of the biggest hill, at the 16km point, I felt as if my stomach was slowly eroding, meaning that famous wall was ever so close. Had to scale it back for half a kilometer, and then had at it again.

Next up is Ottawa, the real deal. The next 4 weeks of training are mapped out. This week will be my peak mileage of the entire program, then I will slightly scale it back the following week, and then taper for two weeks. Last fall, the taper was too long, and I got bored and stale. And Don scolded me :) Lesson learned.

So, the first two objectives have been completed, 28 days to go.

Anyone who wants to join me, you've got 4 weeks of training ahead of you... any takers? Mattiek? Diesel? Tobbi?!?

Well deserved sleep ahead, tomorrow morning's workday will come too soon.

2 Comments:

  • Hot damn, u beat my PR of 1:36:??. I am very happy 4 u. I can feel your potential all the way down here in Massachusetts. You have a sub 3:20:00 marathon in u'r future and I suspect you will accomplish this time soon. Great luck my friend.

    By Blogger donperreault, at 4:29 AM  

  • Hopefully Ottawa will be sub 3:20:00. Its pretty flat, so as long as the temperatures aren't obscene, I'll go after it.

    By Blogger sobe, at 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home