.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Secret Underwater Base

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

One of those nights...

You know how it is. Those times that you hit a wall... you come to that point where your mind starts telling you to stop, it will be so much easier if you just do something else. Happens all the time.... big projects, trying to meet a deadline, personal problems; all that stuff that can just get in the way.

Tonight was one of those moments. Had to get a workout in, skipped last night's run because of the exam I was prepping for. Stepped out the door into the night; the sun was gone but it somehow left the heat behind. Not a burning, blast in the face heat; more of a grab you, smother you with thick humid air and try to suffocate you kind of heat; shirt-wringing heat. Put in a few miles... first one was great, 6 flat just cruisin'. By 3 miles, it was a mind game. Headache threatening... just way too hot all over. Rather than fight it and be miserable, I sat down and convinced myself this is fun. Take it mile by mile and get it done. Have you ever felt worse after a run than before it? Didn't think so. Pushed it for one more mile and then it was just a matter of getting home. Kelly Jones had it right: "You've gotta go there to come back"

So, 8 miles in the books; could've been ugly, but it turned out perfect.

I've been wanting to throw this quote in here, and this is probably as good a place as ever:

Running great distances is my way of finding peace.
I run for the finish line and to savour the trip along the way.
I run to help those who can't.
I run because walking takes too long, and I'd like to get a few things done in a lifetime.
I run because long after my footsteps fade away, maybe I will have inspired a few to reject the easy path, hit the trails, put one foot in front of the other and come to the same conclusion I did:
I run because it always takes me where I want to go.


- Dean Karnazes from Ultramarathon Man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home