.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Secret Underwater Base

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Health/Care?

Just got in from a nice 10 mile run... and there's something that just drives me insane.

On one of my standard routes, I run along the waterfront and past the hospital. Same thing on the way home. Now, I've been running this route for years now, and despite changes in season, road work, trees being planted and cut down, something never changes: the air in front of the hospital makes me cough. This isn't a cough like that caused by those damn flies that like my lungs so much in April... this is worse. The air in front of the hospital makes me cough, because humans are supposed to breathe oxygen, and the this special type of hospital air is composed of carbon monoxide and other disgusting carcinogens. Now, why would the air in front of a center of "health care" be full of second hand smoke??? There's no way that doctors and nurses; health professionals who have gone to school for years to learn about health would be sucking on death sticks... would there?

I mean, its nice that they're not allowed to smoke inside the hospital. Thats where they tell people that they should quit smoking in order to get better. At least when they're outside, huddled around the smoker's tables, they look like the second class citizens that they are. But still, I wish they'd glass themselves in, so I didn't have to breathe their pollution.

I'm reminded of the line in SuperSize Me when they compare obesity to smoking. An interesting comparison, but flawed in a way. I've never heard of anyone dying from second hand hot fudge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home